While a country is in recession it can be difficult to imagine that it is possible to make more money than you are. You may think that there is just not the opportunity out there. It is true, that it will be tough to do so, but it is possible still. There are a series of things you can try, listed below.
– Ask for a pay rise – it is possible to ask for a pay rise but you may be worried that this is just not possible. However, as long as you have not asked too recently, it is worth checking. Your manager can only say ‘no’ in the worst instance. You will not be punished for it and there is always the chance that they may say yes.
– Work more hours – It is possible that you may be able to get more work at your current job in order to bring in more money. It is worth asking whether this is possible, perhaps to get some overtime or to increase your part-time hours. This may not be available immediately, but showing an interest could help you if the opportunity does arise and so it is always worth making your manager aware that you are happy to do this.
– Get a second job – working extra hours may be something that some people cannot do. This might be because of child care issues, for example. However, it is worth considering whether you do have the time to fit in some extra time for work. You will need to let your current employer know that you are working two jobs and get in touch with the tax office so that they put you on the right tax code as a second job may be taxed too highly otherwise. Even a few evenings a week or a weekend day, could really help to bring in more money.
– Work for yourself – this is something that you are wise to do in your spare time if you already have a job, but could be something you could full-time if you do not have a job. There are a lot of opportunities out there for self-employment. You will need to tell your employer and the tax office though. You could deliver catalogues and get commission on sales, you could do freelance work from home or buy and sell things to make money. With the Internet, there are many opportunities to work for yourself and they do not have to cost very much money.
– Sell things – you could sell unwanted items to raise some extra cash. You could do this online through an auction website, for example or use classifieds, or a car boot sale. There are many ways that you can sell and you do not have to declare this income to the tax office, if the things that you are selling were yours originally.
– Voluntary Work – obviously voluntary work does not pay, but sometime sit can lead to paid work. It is also useful because it will give you something to put on your CV so that future employers can not only see that you have been learning new skills, but that you have not just been wasting time while not in paid employment.